Emilia Vona


«Mine is kind of a devotion for diaries, and it’s been like this since i used to stick flower petals on the page borders of my primary school years. Only during art school I learned to attach words to my drawings and illustrations, cause before then I thought it was unnecessary; why should I write on something that is meant to speak for it self alone?

A teacher of my class always underlined the importance of adding written informations during the sketching phase, and mostly of the time I didn’t know what to say, sometimes maybe I faked it to write something useful. With time, while I was focusing on my artistic path, words started emerging, about anything: shop lists, songs titles, memo ideas... Until it became essential to me. I really need to put the tickling weight of thoughts somewhere, before it can possibly fade, and paper is capable to keep it for me with secrecy. Handwritten words are part of me, as much as visionary fantasies.

This is an extract from a little notebook I’ve started working on for an exam in my last university year, a project called Abditorio: it is about the objects’ ability of absorbing what we prefer to hide beneath silence, the bond between them, ourselves and relationships.

I always try to keep a certain aesthetic through pages, but nothing too forced. If I don’t feel the urge to say something I leave my diaries closed even for weeks.»

.

.

Emilia Vona (@emiliasweven, emiliasweven.tumblr.com), ABDITORIO/il diario (extract), 2021, pen, graphite and charcoal on paper, 18 x 14 cm

.

.

Front:

various text

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Payal Chakraborty

Alkistis Voulgari